PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
Pocklington District
Note: This is not necessarily the area to be covered by the Pocklington & District Local History Group, only this website.
This section of the website will provide information and old pictures from within the ancient Wapentake of Harthill and the subdivision called Wilton Beacon which since Elizabethan times was administered from Pocklington. The Dean of York held the Peculiar Court of Pocklington for the Minster Parish area which dealt with all wills etc for the folk of Pocklington, Allerthorpe, Barmby Moor, Bielby, Givendale, Hayton, Kilnwick Percy, Meltonby, Millington, Ousethorpe, Thornton and Yapham.

It is these villages from the Pocklington Peculiar which will be included in this website.

For more information see: 'Harthill Wapentake', A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3: Ouse and Derwent wapentake, and part of Harthill wapentake (1976), pp. 129-32.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=23015

Harthill Wapentake (Wilton Beacon Division)