PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
> The Flying Man 2017
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  21st Sep - Alfred Summerson - local   lad made good

> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1892 Bulmers Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON  PARISH.

Wapentake  of   Harthill   (Wilton  Beacon   Division)—County  Council   Electoral   Division   of Pocklington—Petty  Sessional  Division of   Wilton Beacon—Rural Deanery of  Pocklington— Archdeaconry of the East Riding—Diocese of York.

Pocklington is a parish and market town, a county council electoral division,, and the head of a poor law union and county court district. The parish includes the townships of Pocklington, Ousthorpe, and Yapham-cum-Meltonby, comprising a total area, according to the Ordnance Survey, of 4,788 acres. The area of the first-named township is 2,520 acres, the rateable value £10,427, and the population, in 1891 was 2,577. Colonel Charles Wilmer Field Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The other proprietors are the trustees of Pocklington Grammar School; Mrs. Adeline Bell Lamb, Melbourne House, Rugby; John Houslay, High Catton, and numerous small freeholders.
Pocklington, at the time of the Norman Conquest, formed part of the possessions of Morcar, Earl of Northumbria. Morcar at first submitted to the Conqueror, but soon afterwards he headed the Northumbrians, who rebelled against the Norman usurpation and tyranny, and was dispossessed of all his lands. This manor was then given to Stephen FitzOdo, who had married the Conqueror's sister, and was created Earl of Albemarle and Holderness; and it was held by the successive lords of Holderness till the end of the 13th century, when it was granted by Edward I. to the Abbot of Melsa or Meaux. The convent retained possession of the manor about six years, and then exchanged it with Henry, Lord Percy, for half-an-acre of land in Nafferton and the advowson of that church. A market, two fairs, and other liberties were granted by patent in 1300, and two additional fairs were granted by Edward II. in 1325. Subsequently the lands were divided, and the manor passed from the Percys into other hands. In, the latter part of the 15th and the early part of the 16th centuries, it was held by the Dolmans or Dowmans, one of whom founded the free grammar school in the town. In 1653, William Sykes, a wealthy merchant of Leeds, died, bequeathing the manors of Pocklington and Osbaldwick to Grace, his wife. The manor was purchased from the Denison family by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Dun-combe, father of the present owner.
The town of Pocklington is pleasantly situated in the vale of a considerable stream which rises near Givendale, and in its course through the parish turns several mills, and empties itself into the Derwent. The York and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway also intersects the parish, and skirts the town on its western side, where a station is erected. Pocklington stands in the midst of a rich agricultural district, and is distant 13 miles east-by-south from York, seven miles north-west from Market Weighton, 26 north-west from Hull, 27 south-west from Bridlington, and 195 north-by-west from London. It is lighted with gas by the New Gas Co., Limited, which was formed in 1886, with a capital of £8,000, in £10 shares, and purchased the rights of the existing company. New works were erected near the railway station, and fitted with the latest and most approved appliances. There is one gasholder, with a capacity of 30,000 cubic feet, which supplies the town, and also Barmby Moor and Allerthorpe. The streets. are lighted by 80 lamps. The gas is retailed at 4s. 2d. per 1,000 cubic feet. The Pocklington Water Co., Limited, was recently farmed, with a capital of £3,000 in. £5 shares, for supplying the town with water. The reservoir, constructed in 1890, on the south side of Chapel Hill, will hold 150,000 gallons. The market is held every Saturday, and is well supplied with provisions. A cattle market has been recently established ; it is held each alternate Tuesday, and so far it has met with great success. Fairs are held on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August, and the 8th of November, and a hiring for servants on the 9th of November. There were formerly fairs held here on other days, but they have fallen into disuse. The principal local trades will be seen by a glance at the directory which follows the account of the parish. The Pocklington canal was constructed under the provisions of an Act of Parliament, passed in 1814. It extends from Street Bridge (about a mile from the town) to East Cottingwith, a distance of nine miles, and there communicates with the river Derwent. The canal was purchased by the Railway Co., and, as a means of transport, has been almost entirely superseded by the railway.
The church, which stands in the centre of the town and is dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient cruciform building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, comprising chancel, with two chapels on the north side, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, south porch, and a lofty embattled tower with pinnacles, at the west end, containing five bells. It was repaired and re-pewed in 1852, and during the past 14 years it has undergone extensive restoration, at a cost exceeding £2,000. A row of cottages which encumbered the west end of the church has been purchased and pulled down. The south porch has been rebuilt, and in the foundations were discovered fragments of the original Saxon church. The font—a piece of Norman work, consisting of a square basin of fossil marble on a circular pedestal—has also been thoroughly renovated. The nave is separated from the aisles by pointed arches springing from massive columns. The capitals of the columns on the south side are plain, but those on the north side are adorned with some very grotesque carvings; and the capitals of the piers supporting the tower are ornamented with grotesque heads much larger than life. The chancel, the oldest part of the edifice, has several finely carved stalls. The east window is modern, but in harmony with the general style of the church. It consists of five lights, which were filled with stained glass by the late Admiral Duncornbe. A new pulpit of oak, richly carved by Messrs. Elwell, of Beverley, has been recently erected at a cost of 100 guineas, in memory of the late Dr. Wilson, of Pocklington. The chapel of St. Nicholas on the north side of the chancel, founded and endowed as a chantry by Arch­deacon Dolman, the munificent benefactor of the Grammar School, was restored in 1890, and adapted for its original purpose as a chapel for the scholars attending his school. In making the necessary alterations a massive slab of stone, much broken and decayed, was found five feet below the surface. It bore the letters I. D., the initials of his name (John Dolman), and marked the resting place of the founder of the school. He ordered that no monument should be erected to him, desiring that his school should perpetuate his memory. There are several monuments and objects of interest within the church; amongst them is a hand­some mural monument to Thomas Dolman, Esq., who died in 1589. It was restored some years ago by the late John Dolman, M.D., of York, and consists of three compartments of black marble. In the centre one is a recumbent effigy of the deceased, accompanied by his wife, the sole heiress of a member of the ancient house of Vavasour. In the other compartments are the figures of their eight children kneeling—the sons on one side, the daughters on the other. The whole is surmounted with the arms of the Dolman family quartered with those of the Vavasours. Another monument is to the memory of Eobert Southebee, of Pocklington; it bears an inscription, with the date 1594, and ending with the pathetic exclamation :—" O vita, misero longa, faelici brevis." In the north tran­sept is the monument of the Denison family, former lords of the manor. On this 'tomb are three elaborate pieces of old oak carving, purchased on the Continent by the late Robert Denison, Esq., at a cost of £1,000. The large central piece represents the Crucifixion, that on the right Jesus bearing His cross, and that on the left the Descent from the cross. These exquisite carvings are supposed to have been executed by Albert Diirer, or one of his pupils, and are placed in glazed compartments. Whilst the workmen were preparing the foundation for the new-pulpit a marble slab was discovered, bearing an incised floriated cross, and an inscription to the memory of the Lady Margaret Easingwold, prioress of this place, which had probably been brought from some neighbouring convent after the dissolution. Near the slab was a skeleton, with an abbey token, about 500 years old, fast in the socket of the eye. At the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, which was found by the sexton in 1835, whilst digging a grave in the churchyard. It is supposed to have stood on the site of the cross erected here by Paulinus, near the beck in which he baptised his converts, and beside which the earliest church was erected. On the arms of the cross are sculptured the Crucifixion, and the figures of an archbishop and John Soteby holding a model of the church in his hand—a portion of which he, as lord of the manor, had rebuilt. There is a Latin inscription requesting prayers for the soul of John Soteby. He was probably an ancestor of the Southebee before mentioned. There are 600 sittings. The registers date from 1559.
The living, anciently a rectory, was appropriated to the deanery of York, and a vicarage ordained in 1252, which was endowed with the small tithes of the parish. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Eev. John Henry Wicksteed, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Present nett value £266, including 25 acres of glebe, with residence.
The Catholics of Pocklington were without any place of worship from the Reformation till the beginning of the present century, when a small chapel and house for the priest were erected in 1807. The chapel was rebuilt and the pres­bytery enlarged in 1863, from designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield. The style is Gothic, and the plan comprises an apsidal sanctuary and nave. There are two double-light stained-glass windows in the sanctuary, and one in the nave. The latter is a memorial of the late Dr. Dolman, of York, whose ancestors were lords of Pocklington. The total cost, including the erection of the school, was about £800. The mission is at present under the charge of the Rev. Edmond James Hickey.
The Congregational chapel was rebuilt in 1879, at a cost of £1,000. Attached is a house for the minister, and behind a cemetery, now closed. Minister, the Rev. Alexander Farries. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1864, on the site of the old one, is a handsome structure of red brick, with stone dressings, in the Grecian style. In front is a portico supported by six Doric pillars. A gallery runs round the interior, which enables the building to accommodate 700 persons. The total cost was £2,300, which was raised by subscription. There are two houses for the ministers, one on each side of the chapel, which were built at a further outlay of £1,000. There are three resident ministers. The Primitive Methodist chapel was rebuilt in 1865, at a cost of £1,200. It is a handsome structure of pressed bricks, capable of seating 550 persons. Attached is a Sunday school. There are three resident ministers.
The Free Grammar Schoolwas founded by John Dolman, or Dowman, in 1514. This generous benefactor, to the inhabitants of Pocklington, was the son of the lord of the manor, and brother of the vicar of the parish. He was educated for the church, and took his degree of Doctor of Divinity and Doctor of Laws, and was appointed Archdeacon of Suffolk. In 1514 he obtained a license to found in the church of Pocklington a fraternity, or " Guild of the Name of Jesus, of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and St. Nicholas," for a master, two wardens, and a number of brethren and sisters. He also obtained permission to grant lands, &c., of the yearly value of 20 marks (£13 6s. 8d.), to the said Guild, for the main­tenance of a learned man to teach grammar to all scholars resorting to Pocklington for such instruction. All such religious societies were abolished in the 1st of. Edward VI. (1547), but fortunately through the exertions of the founder's family, the property originally left to the Guild was preserved for the benefit of the school. In 1552 the endowment was transferred to the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, and the school was re-constituted under the patronage of that college. There are no statutes, but the Act orders that a " discreet and well-learned man" be appointed as master, and the usher, or assistant master, had to possess the same qualifications. The master and usher formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Master and Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pocklington." The revenues of the school arise from lands situated in various parts of the East Riding, which now produce about £1,200 a year. The benevolent founder died in 1526, and devised by will certain lands in Yorkshire and Derbyshire to the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, for the purpose of maintaining in the college five scholars from this school, those of his name and kindred to have the preference.
The Rev. T. Shield, B.D., who was appointed master in 1807, succeeded in considerably augmenting the trust, and commenced the re-building of the school and master's house, which were eventually completed in 1848, by the Eev. F. J. Gruggen, M.A. During Dr. Baskett's mastership the school appears to have been in a flourishing condition, and was attended by 40 or 50 scholars. A few years later, according to the Report of the Public Schools Commissioners, " there were only two or three town boys attending, and no aliens;" and the report goes on to say: " The lower school-room was made use of as a saw-pit and barn; that the master had not attended for the last 12 months ; and that the usher being deaf, the children had necessarily been sent to other schools."
In 1875, the school was entirely re-organised by the Endowed Schools Com­missioners, who removed the patronage from St. John's College, and appointed a local governing body of 14 members. Under the Cambridge University Act, there are four Dolman Exhibitions, of £40 a year each, tenable for three years, open to any boys who have been educated for two years in this school. There are exhibitions at other colleges open to boys from this school, and also several scholarships of various values, tenable at the school for boarders and day boys. Great improvements and additions have lately been made to the school buildings. There are two boarding houses belonging to the Trust; one under the manage­ment of the head master, and the other under that of the master of the modern side. There are at present about 100 boys in the school, and the number is increasing.
The original seal of the ancient guild is still used as the seal of the school. It is circular; in the centre is a figure of Our Saviour between the Blessed Virgin and St. Nicholas; beneath is the founder kneeling, and around is the legend:— Sigillum Commune Fraternitatis Nominis Jesus, Beatce Maria, Sancti Nicholai de Pocklyngton. (The common seal of the brotherhood of the name of Jesus, the Blessed Mary, and St. Nicholas, of Pocklington). We may mention the names of two boys from this school who have won for themselves imperishable fame— Daniel Sykes, Esq., the eloquent and distinguished statesman, and William Wilberforce, the philanthropist, through whose exertions slavery was abolished throughout the British empire. His first letter on the slavery question was penned whilst still a boy at this school. It was written to a York newspaper, and therein he denounces " the odious traffic in human flesh."
The National schools, consisting of two departments, mixed and infants, with master's house, were built in 1854, at a cost of £1,444, exclusive of the site, which was given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who were then owners of land in the parish. There is accommodation in the mixed school for 160 children, and an average attendance of 141; and in the infants' for 70, and there are 45 in average attendance. Several free scholarships have been founded at the school in memory of the late Dr. Wilson. The Catholic school (mixed) in Union Street, was built in 1877, for the accommodation of 60 children; average attendance 41. The Wesleyan schools, with master's house, in Chapmangate, were erected in 1852. There are two departments—mixed and infants—having accommodation for 170, and an average attendance of 106.
The Oddfellows' Hall, Union Street, built in 1839, will hold 250 persons. It is let for public meetings, lectures, &c. The Literary and Philosophical Society hold their meetings here. A Cottage Hospital was built at The Grove in 1880, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson, Esq., but after an existence of ten years, was closed and converted into a private dwelling house. Near it is the Wilson Memorial Reference Library.
Pocklington Union comprises 47 parishes and townships, embracing an area of 158 square miles. The total rateable value is about £130,000, and the popula­tion in 1891 was 14,579. The following places are included in the Union:—Allerthorpe, Barmby-upon-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthope, Burnby, Catton High, Catton Low, Cliffe North, Cliffe South, Cotting-with East, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Givendale Great-with-Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough-with-Easthorpe, Market Weigh-ton and Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton-with- Houghton, Scrayingham, SeatonEoss, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthope-cum-Gowthorpe.
The Union Workhouse, situated in Burnby Lane, is a commodious building of grey brick, erected in 1852. There is accommodation for 113 inmates. A hospital capable of receiving 30 patients, was added about 15 years ago.
The Cemetery, situated in West Green, covers about two acres, and contains two mortuary chapels.

OUSTHORPE is a small township containing 330 acres, belonging to Mrs. Adeline Bell Lamb, of Melbourne House, Eugby, and Colonel Buncombe, of Kilnwick Percy. The township is divided into two farms; the rateable value is £560, and the number of inhabitants 17. There are traces of a large moated mansion.

YAPHAM-CUM-MELTONBY are two hamlets forming a joint township and chapelry containing 1,830J acres. The land belongs to several proprietors, of whom the principal are James Richard Singleton, Esq., Bishop Wilton; Henry Abbey, Pocklington; Francis Riccall, Millington; Henry Jewison ; Colonel Duncombe, Kilnwick Percy ; William Dixon Petch, Skelton-in-Cleveland, and the Feoffees of the " Poors' Charity, &c." The soil is good loam, sand, and gravel; subsoil, clay and gravel, and the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, and turnips. The rateable value is £2,729, and the population in 1891 was 191.
The village of Yapham is small, and stands on an open green, two-and-a-half miles north-by-west of Pocklington. The chapel, a small, plain edifice, was partially rebuilt in 1777-8. It consists of chancel and nave, with a western turret, containing two bells. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Pockling­ton. The great tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the dean of York. The chapel lands, now styled "Yapham-cum-Meltonby Church, School and Poor Charity," were left partly by one John Beal, or Belsom, and others, upwards of 300 years ago, and partly awarded at the inclosure of the common in 1773. The estimated extent of the charity land is 124 acres, producing an income of £143 a year. By an arrangement with the Charity Commissioners the income is thus expended:—one-fourth is applied to the repairs of the chapel, one-fourth is distributed amongst the poor, and the remaining two-fourths are applied towards the support of the school, which belongs to the Charity Trust. New premises were erected in 1875, for the accommodation of 45 children. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1865.
Meltonby village consists of a few farms and cottages, situated two-and-a-half miles north of Pocklington.

LOCAL   INFORMATION.

Magistrates for Wilton Beacon Petty Sessional Division.

Calverley-Rudston Trevor Wheler, Esq., Allerthorpe hall, chairman
Bardwell Thos. Newman Fred., Esq., Bolton hall
Darley William, Esq., Lingfield, Surrey
Duncombe Col. Chas. Wilmer, Kilnwick Percy
Duncombe Arthur, Esq., M.P., Sutton-on-the-Forrest
Morris Bev. Fras. Orpen, M.A., Nunburnholme
Wilson Charles Hy., Esq., M.P., Warter priory
Wright Fredk., Esq., Derwent hill, Stamford bridge
Clerk to the Magistrates— Thos. Robson, solr., Waterloo buildings
Petty Sessions are held at the Magistrates' Room, Great George street, on the first Saturday in each month. The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division:—Allerthorpe, Barnby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High and Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Button, Garrowby, Great and Little Givendale, Grim-thorpe, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe

Pocklington Poor Law Union.
Chairman—Trevor Wheler Calverley-Rudston, Esq., J.P., Allerthorpe hall
Vice-Chairman—Israel Kelsey, Market Weighton
Clerk to the Guardians—Thomas Robson, solr.,Waterloo buildings
Medical Officer of Health and House Surgeon toWorkhouse—A.   F.   A.   Fairweather,   M.A., M.D.; for Market Weighton District, A. G.
R. Harris
Public  Vaccinators—No. 1 District,  A. F. A. Fairweather;
No. 2 District, W. 0. Trotter,
M.R.G.S. (Eng.), L.R.C.P. (Edin.); 
Sutton-on-Derwent District, W. T. H. Von Beverhoudt; 
Bishop Wilton District, F. Wright, J.P.;  
No.  1  Market Weighton District, J. Jefferson;
No. 2 Market Weighton District, A. G. R. Harris
Vaccination officer—Mark Fowler,Chapmangate
Superintendent Registrar—Jon. Chapman Lee, Great George street
Registrar of Births and Deaths, No. 2 District—Mark Fowler, Chapmangate
Registrar of Marriages—John Ashby, Post office
Rate  Collector  and Relieving   Officer — Mark Fowler, Chapmangate
Workhouse Master—Edward Mann;  
Matron, Mrs. Grace Mann
Board day every alternate  Saturday, at the Workhouse rural sanitary authority.
Clerk—Thomas Robson, Waterloo builings
Treasurer—Saml. Snowden, York Union Bank, Pocklington
Medical Officers of Health—Pocklington Divi­sion, A. F. A. Fairweather, M.A., M.D.; Market Weighton Division, A. G. R. Harris

Burial board.
Clerk—John Thos. Sargent, solr., Railway st

County court.
Judge—His Honour F. A. Bedwell
Registrar—John Thos. Sargent, solr., Railway st
High Bailiff—John Ashby, Dean's lane

The Court is held six times a year at the Magistrates' room, Great George street. The following places are within its jurisdiction:— Allerthorpe, Barmby Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, Catton High, Catton Low, Cliff North, Cliff South, CottingwithEast, Evering-ham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Givendale Great-with-Grimthorpe, Givendale Little, Goodmanham, Gowthorpe, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough-with-Easthorpe, Market Weighton, Mel­bourne, Meltonby, Millington, Newton-on-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Sane-ton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Spittal, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-on-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Uncleby, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham, Youlthorpe

Public officers.
Clerk to the Magistrates of Holme Beacon Divi­sion—Thos. Robson, solr., Waterloo buildings
Steward of the Manor of Pocklington—Thomas Robson, solicitor
Clerk to the Lighting Inspectors—John Thos. Sargent, Railway street
Inspector of Weights and Measures—Supt. John Farrah
Inspector of Lodging Houses and Inspector under the Contagious Diseases (Animals) Act and Food and Drugs Act—Supt. John Farrah
Inland Revenue Officer—Robt. Edward Triffitt, 2 Bank house
Stamp Distributor—John Ashby, Post office
Asst. Overseer—Geo. Hy. Gibson, Bloomsbury

Public institutions, clubs, &c.
Cemetery—Thomas Flint, caretaker and sexton
County Police Office, Great George street—Jno. Farrah, supt.; John Jackson, sergeant
East Yorkshire Regt. (2nd Vol. Batt., F Com­pany)—Head-quarters, Jubilee rooms, Chap­mangate ; Sergt. Geo. Bleasdale, drill-instr.
Literary and Philosophical Society, Oddfellows' hall—W. O. Trotter, secretary
Friendly Benefit Society, Star Inn—John Robson, secretary
Oddfellows  (Royal Baron Lodge), Oddfellows' hall—J. Richardson, secretary
Oddfellows (M.U.) (Royal Percy Lodge), Black Bull—J. E. Brook, secretary
Gas Co., Limited (Pocklington New)—Hy. S. Powell, solicitor and secretary; John M. Wheldon, manager, Gasworks
Water Co., Ltd.—H. B. Broomhead, solicitor and secretary, Beverley
Wilson  Memorial Reference Library—W. O. Trotter, secretary
places of worship.
Church of England (All Saints')—Rev. John
Henry Wicksteed, M.A., vicar; Rev. William Haig Griffiths, B.A., curate
Catholic Chapel (SS. Mary and Joseph)—Rev. Edmond James Hickey, priest
Congregational   Chapel,   Chapmangate — Rev. Alexander Farries, minister
Primitive  Methodist  Chapel,  Union  Street— Rev. John Wilson, Rev. T. R. Holtby, Rev.
Robert Watson Monkman, ministers
Wesleyan Chapel, Chapmangate—Rev. Michael Thompson (superintendent), Rev. J. Havelock
Thompson, & Rev. Eneas Mosscrop, ministers

Carriers.
Bishop Wilton (Sat.)—Rt. Cullum, from Three Horse Shoes ; George Hardwick, from Cross Keys; J. B. Richmond, from Feathers Hotel
Everingham (Sat.)—Rd. Nicholson, from Buck
Full Sutton (Sat.)—Seth Johnson, from Water­loo Hotel
Huggate  (Sat.)—James Broadley, from Odd­fellows' Arms; George Dawson, from Odd­fellows' Arms
Kirby Underdale (Sat.)—Wm. Thos. Mitchell, from Three Horse Shoes
Market Weighton and Goodmanham (Sat.)— Clark, from Buck
Melbourne (Sat.)—Thos. Kidd, from New Red Lion ; B. Simpson, from Feathers
Millington  (Sat.)—Geo. Johnson, from Black Swan ;. William Thompson, from Three Horse Shoes
Nunburnholme (Sat.)—Wm. Brown, from Black Bull; Thos. Frear, Oddfellows' Arms; David Harrison, Feathers Hotel
Seaton Ross (Sat.)—William Chapman, from Black Bull Thornton   (Sat.)—William  Hesslewood,  from
New Red Lion
Warter (Sat.)—Saml. Holmes, from Black Bull; Francis Puckering, from Black Swan ;  Wm.
Slater, from Black Bull; Oliver Stephenson
York  (Sat.)—John  Addison, to Lord Nelson, Walmgate ; Thomas Lister, to Lord Nelson, Walmgate

Post, Parcels, Money Order and Telegraph Office, Savings Bank, Assurance and Annuity Office, Dean's Lane ; John Ashby, postmaster. Letters, via York, arrive at 7-13 a.m., by mail cart, and 5-22 p.m. by rail. Despatches at 10-40 a.m. and 8-20 p.m. by rail, and 6-18 p.m. by mail cart. Sunday delivery at 8-0 a.m., and despatch at 6-18 p.m.

Addison John, carrier to York (Lord Nelson, Walmgate, Sat.), St. Helen's gate
Angus Mrs. Mary A., lodgings, Regent street
Ashby Jno., postmaster, registrar of marriages, ale  and  porter  merchant, and  high bailiff (county court), Dean's lane
Askham Mr. William, 6 York terrace Baylis Mrs., Percy road
Beal Miss Elizabeth, Market street
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer, London street
Bell William, foreman, London street
Berriman Anthony, farmer and cattle dealer, Percy house Bleasdale  Geo.,  sergeant drill instructor,   St.
George street
Bloomer Boaz, commission agent, Union st
Botham Mrs. Mary, Union street
Boulton Rt., horse dealer and breaker, New st
Bowman John Neesan, stationmaster
Bown Jno. Lambert, asst. master, Grammar sch
Booth Sam, solicitor, New street
Brown Mrs. Elizabeth, Dixon hs, St. George st
Burniston  William, gravel  pit  proprietor,  3 South parade
Caris Miss Marianne, Chapmangate
Cattle   Henry  Ward   (R.  Cattle  &  Co.) ;    h Chapmangate
Cattle James (R. Cattle & Co.), h West green
Conyers Harry, gunsmith, Market street
Coverdale Mr. John, Wilberforce house
Critchley Mrs. Esther Sophia, The Elms
Curtis Mrs. Annie, Sherbutt house
Dunn Robert Suddaby, foreman, Kirkland st
Edwards Mrs. Ann, The Grove
English Miss Jane B., wine and spirit merchant, Brass Castle hill
Everingham Mr. John, Union street
Fairweather Alex. Ferrier Angus, M.A., M.D., M.C., Faircote house
Fairweather Mr. Robert, M.A., Faircote house
Fames Rev. Alex. (Congregtnl.), Chapmangate
Forth Chas., printer, etc. (W. & C. Forth); h St. Helen's gate
Foster Mrs. Mary Ann, Union terrace
Fourby Mr. John, The Grove
Fowler Mark,  registrar of births and deaths (No. 2 district), relieving, vaccination, and school  attendance  officer, and collector to the Guardians, Chapmangate
Fowler Mrs. Mary, lodgings, New street
Fowler Thomas, draper and silk mercer, Market place ; h Percy road
Gibson Geo. Hy., assist, overseer, Bloomsbury
Giles Hy., furniture broker and general dealer, Railway street
Gilyead James Wm., clerk, Great George street
Goodyear Miss Annie, Chapmangate
Grant Thos., builder, joiner, glass, etc., dealer, Union street and Waterloo buildings
Green Miss Anne, 8 York ter, Gt. George st
Griffiths Rev. Wm. Haig, B.A., curate, New st
Hagyard Mr. Thomas, Railway crescent
Harland Mrs. Mary, St. John's lodge
Harrison Mrs. Charlotte, Great George street
Harvey John, carter, Great George street
Hatfield Mrs. Elizabeth, Wesley place
Hickey Rev. Edmund James  (Catholic), The Presbytery
Halesworth Thomas, commis. agent, Regent st
Holmes Jas., carting agent, N.E.R., 5 Union st
Holtby Rev. T. R. (Wesleyan), Percy road
Hornby George, M.D., 2 Kirkland street
Horsley Miss Mary Elizabeth, Market street
Howbrigg Mrs. Julia, New street
Hutton Rev. Chas. P., M.A., headmaster, Free Grammar school
Jackson Mrs. Eliza, The Grove
Jackson Mrs. Elizth., Ebenezer hs, Regent st
Johnson Ada (Miss), carter, Waterloo buildings
Johnson Charles, lodgings, London street
Judson Mrs. Robson, Bloomsbury house
Kelsey Miss Annie, Great George street
Laister James Wm. (Joseph Laister & Son); h Market place
Laister Jos. (Joseph Laister & Son); h New st
Lamb John T., music master (Cert., Oxon.), 3 Dolman terrace, Railway street
Lazenby Miss, Chapmangate
Lee Miss Elizabeth, Great George street
Lockwood Benjamin, chimney sweeper, Black Swan yard
Magee John, fishmonger, Church lane
Marony Edwd., model lodging-house proprietor, Union street
Martin George, coal dealer, Market street
Matthews John, mat dyer, Chapmangate
McLaren Miss R., 4 West green
Monkman Rev. Robert Watson (Prim. Meth.), Chapmangate
Morgantroy Mr. William, Brass Castle hill
Mosscrop Eev. Eneas (Wesleyan), Prospect pl
Norris Mrs., Oakland house
Padgett & Read, nurserymen, etc., Gt. George st
Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor, and solicitor and secretary to Pocklington New Gas Co., Ltd.;    hon.   secretary   to   Wilton   Beacon Habitation Primrose League (Howdenshire, No.  1,022);   agent  for London Assurance, Corporation  and  Mercantile  Accident  and Guarantee Insurance Co., Regent street and at Market Weighton
Powell Mrs., Regent street
Richardson Jane (Miss), New street
Richardson Mrs. IX, Chapmangate
Richardson Mrs. Mary, Chapmangate
Richardson Daniel, Albion foundry
Robson Thos., solicitor, clerk to the Guardians (Pocklington   Union),   to   Rural   Sanitary Authority,     to    Assessment    and    School Attendance Committees; clerk to the Magis­trates for Wilton Beacon and Holme Beacon divisions of the East Riding; steward of the manors   of   Pocklington,  Allerthorpe-with-Waplington,  and    Barmby-upon-the-Moor; clerk to the Governors of the Pocklington Grammar  School;   Conservative  agent  for Howdenshire, com. for oaths, perpetual com., and insurance agent, Waterloo buildings ; h Pembroke lodge, Chapmangate
Robson Wm. Jackson, Prospect hs,Chapmangate
Robson Mrs., milliner, Market place
Rowley Mrs. Sarah, 7 York ter, Gt. George st
Russell Richard, wood turner, Great George st
Sanderson Mr. Robert, Percy road
Sargent John Thomas, solicitor, c. for o. and per.  com., registrar of  County Court, clerk and registrar of Burial Board, clerk to Lighting Inspectors, deputy steward of the manor of   Millington-with-Little    Givendale,   and assurance agt., Railway st; h Percy road
Scaife Miss Betsy Hannah, Chapmangate
Scott James, farmer, Clay field
Seller Mrs. Jane, Bank house
Shaw Mrs. Bebecca, Great George street
Shooter Miss Lavinia, Great George street
Singleton Mrs. Hannah, Teresa cottage
Singleton Richard, cake, seed, and corn merchant ;  h Brass Castle hill
Skinn Henry, farmer, timber mcht., & threshing-mach. propr., Chapmangate;   sawmills, Larch lea
Sleigh John, Percy road
Smith Mrs. Abigail, Chapmangate
Smith  Mrs. Ann Elizabeth  (Timothy  Smith, plumber), Great George street
Smith Daniel, cattle dealer, River head
Smithson Mr. Francis, Dolman house
Staveley George Robert, agent Singer's Manu­facturing Co., Regent street
Snowden Samuel, manager, York Union Bank, Market place
Stancer & Co., sack contractors,Waterloo bldgs
Steel Joseph, poultry and pig dealer,  Great George street
Steels George, taxidermist, wood carver, &c., London street
Steels Wm., tanner and currier, Chapmangate
Stephenson Mrs. Margaret, Pavement house
Stephenson Mrs. Mary Ann, Chapmangate ter
Stephenson Thos. N., grocer and rubber depot,Market street
Stewart Mrs. Hannah, Percy road
Sugden Mrs. Maria, Kirkland street
Summerson Alf., solr., Railway st; h New st
Summerson Mr. Dawson, Oakdene hs, New st
Tayleure Michael, photographer, Railway st
Theakstone Mr. Robert, Chapmangate
Thomas Mrs. Louie, Union terrace
Thirsk James & Sou, millers, Anglo-Hungarian Roller mills
Thirsk Thos. (James Thirsk & Son), The Mill
Thompson Benj., grocer & baker, Chapmangate
Thompson John, Esq., The Grove
Thompson Rev. J. Havelock (Wes.), Wesley pl
Thompson Bev. Michael, superintendent Wes­leyan minister, Wesley place
Thorp Mrs. Ann, Regent street
Tinson Mrs. Eleanor, Chapmangate
Tinson Mrs. Eliza, Chapmangate terrace
Todd Mrs. Elizabeth, Union street
Triffitt Robert Edward, inland revenue officer. Market place Trotter   Walter   Octavius,   M.B.C.S.   (Eng.), L.B.C.P. (Edin.), Oak house, Market place
Waite    Zachariah, coal agent, N.E.B. depot
Wilberfoss George B.,bank manager, York and East Riding Bank, Market place
Wheldon John M., gas mngr., New Gasworks
Witty Hy., thrashing machine proprietor, Gt. George street
Wicksteed Rev. John Hy., M.A., The Vicarage
Wilkinson John, lock keeper, River head
Wilkinson Miss Mary, Great George street
Wilson Rev. John (Prim. Meth.), Percy road
Wray Mrs. Charity, Great George street
Young & Co., brewers, Chapmangate
Young Thomas, junr., brewer  (Young & Co.),Chapmangate
Young Col. Thos., senr., brewer (Young & Co.); h Londesborough ...

TRADES AND PROFESSIONS.
Academies and Schools.
Bloomer The Misses M. & K., Dewsbury house
Catholic  (mixed),   Union  st; Miss Mary J. Hunt, mistress
National   (mixed);   Atkinson Skinner, hd. mstr.; infants',
Miss Emily M. Tinson
Nicholls Chas. (boarding and day), Sherbutt house
Pocklington Free Grammar; Bev. Chas. P. Hutton, M.A., head master; M. J. Berry, mathematical master; Wm. Bull, science master; J. Lambert Bown, master of the modern side; J.T. Lamb, music master; with asstnts.
Stephenson Miss Sarah, Regent street
Wesleyan (mixed), Chapmangate ; Wm. Lamb, master

Aerated Water Mnfrs.
Cundall Bt. & Co., Market st
Scaife George, New pavement

Agricultural Implement Makers.
Foster Mrs., Great George st
Moor Joseph, Dean's lane
Richardson Daniel, Albion foundry

Auctioneers.
Cundall Robert, Market street
English Rd. Massey, Percy rd
Scaife Ralph Johnson, Chapmangate
Bakers & Flour Dlrs.
Cook William, Regent street
Thompson Benj. ,Chapmangate

Banks.
York & East Biding; Beckett & Co., Market pi; George B. Wilberfoss, manager
York Union Banking Co., Ltd., Market pl; Saml. Snowden, manager
Yorkshire Penny Bank, New street; Rev. J.H. Wicksteed

Blacksmiths.
Easton James, Church lane
Moor Joseph, Dean's lane
Richardson Daniel, Albion foundry, Regent street
Todd Henry, London street

Booksellers, Stationers and Printers.
Forth Wm. & Chas. (& fancy goods), Market place
Stancer Geo., Waterloo bldgs

Boot and Shoe Makers and Dealers.
Bateson George, Kirkland st
Braithwaite William, New st
Foster John Alien, Market pl
Giles Henry, Railway street
Higlett John W., Market pl
Hotham Edward, Market pl
Johnson John, Chapmangate
Lumb John, Church lane
Nelson John Geo., Market pl
Pears George, River head
Richardson John, Union st
Stead & Simpson, Ltd., Market st; Harry Bairstow, mngr.
Wilkinson Thos., London st

Brewers.
Cattle R. & Co., Chapmangate
Scaife Geo. (and aerated water manufacr.), New pavement
Young & Co., Chapmangate

Brick and Tile Maker.
Walker Clare,  Burnby lane ; h York     '

Builders.
Grant Thomas, Union street
Ogram John, Great George st
Tinson Robert Richardson, Great George street
Tinson Wm., St. Helen's gate

Butchers.
Beal Richard, Peter square
Binnington —, Union street
Buttle Charles, Union street
Coulson Hall, New street
Darbyshire Jas. (pork), Peter sq
Jarvis John, Market place
Silburn Henry, Market street
Smith Fred., Great George st
Steels Fred., Market place
Thomas Bt., Waterloo bldngs
Wilson Jph., New pavement
Wreggitt Wm.,Great George st

Cab Proprietors.
House Arth. Withers, Feathers Hotel
Lister John, Chapmangate
Lister Joseph, Gt. George st
Lister Thomas (and carrier to York), Chapmangate

Cattle Dealers.
BerrimanAnthy., Percy house,
St. Helen's gate Thomas Henry, Eden place, Great George street

Chemists & Druggists.
Barlow George Edwd., Market place; &Chapmangate
Boyden John Augustus Chas., Market place ; &Percy road
BrighamGeorge, Marketplace
Cundall Robt. & Co., Market st

China, Glass, and Earthenware Dealers.
Browne Thos., Market place
Grant Thomas, Union street
Lee Jon. Chapman, Market pl

Confectioners.
Giles Henry, Railway street
Hagyard John Thos., Marketpl
Higlett John Wm., Market pi
Russell John, Gt. George st

Corn Merchants.
English Rd. Massey, Percy rd
Fawcett Thos., Market street;&Union terrace
Singleton Rd.; h Brass Castle hill

Dairymen & Cowkprs.
Foster John, Balk cottage
Lister Thomas, Chapmangate
Simpson Tom W., Union st
Smith George, Tute hill
Watson Joseph, Chapmangate

Drapers.
Fowler Thos. (& shipping agt.), Market place ; h Percy road
Hagyard John Thos..Market pi
Richardson G. P., Market pl
Robson  William  Jackson, Market place
Smith Wm., Market place; h Red house
Todd George, Union street

Dressmakers.
Davey Miss Eliza, Regent st
Dunn Mrs. Eliza, Kirkland st
Rowley Miss Martha, 7 York terrace
Turner Miss Alice, Gt. George street
Wilson Miss Ann, Union st

Farmers.
Berriman Anthony, Percy hs
Curtis Mrs. Annie, Sherbutt hs
Dixon John, Brunswick house
Dresser Frederick, River head
English Rd. Massey, Percy rd
Hardy Rt., Pocklington grange
Johnson Geo.,Woodhouse farm
Moor Robert, Carr farm
Nicholson John, North field
Scott James, Clay field
Siddill Edward, Chapmangate
Smith Fredk., Gt. George st
Stewart Geo., South Moor hs
Thirsk Jas. & Son (and millers)
Thomas Hy., Eden place, Gt. George street
Todd Robert, Gt. George st
Turner John White, Mile farm
Vincent John, Toft house

Grocers & Tea Dealers.
Browne Thos., Market place
Cundall Robt. & Co., Market st
Hagyard John Thos., Market pl
I'Anson & Co., Market place
Lee Jonathan Chapman (and hatter), Market place
Morris Henry, Chapmangate
Procter Christopher, Market pl
Read Mrs. Jane, Market place
Robson Wm. Jackson, Market place
Steels Charles, Market place
Stephenson Thos. .N., Market street
Thompson Ben., Chapmangate

Hairdressers.
Dinsdale Thomas, Market pl
Lister Robert, Tute hill
Thompson Wm. (and tobac­conist), Market place

Hotels, Inns, and Taverns.
Black Bull, Market pl; Arthur Tayleure
Black   Swan,  Market place; Francis Johnson
Buck Hotel, Market place ; J.H. Cook
Cross   Keys,   Market   street; John Glaisby
Feathers Hotel, Market place ; Arthur Withers House
New Red Lion, New pavement; Alfred Simpson
Oddfellows' Arms, Union st; John Jarvis
Old Red Lion, Regent street; John Edward Bentley (and fellmonger)
Railway Inn, Railway street; Mrs. Ann Johnson
Royal Oak, Great George st; William Wreggitt
Star Inn, Market place; John Kendall
Three   Horse  Shoes,  Market street; William Dunning
Waterloo    Hotel,     Waterloo buildings; George Crofton
Wellington   Oak   Inn,  River head; Thomas Walker

Insurance Agents.
British Workman's AssuranceCompany;   Jon. Newsham, Beckside
Crown Accident; Thos. Bowser Cundall, Market street
Alliance Fire and Life ; H. C. Gibson, Regent street
London   Assur.   Corporation; Henry Powell, Regent street
Mercantile Accdt. & Guarantee;Henry Powell, Regent street
North British and Mercantile ; B. Cundall, Market street
Norwich Union (Fire); A. Summerson, Railway street
Prudential ;    Mark    Wilson, Chapmangate
Refuge ; John Holmes, Union street
Royal Liver Friendly Society ; George Thorpe, Regent st
Standard (Life) ; A. Summerson, Bailway street
Sun Fire and Life; Thomas Robson, Waterloo buildings
Yorkshire Fire and  Life ;  J. C. Lee, Market place, and G. B. Wilberfoss, East Riding
Bank

Ironmongers.
Giles Henry, Railway street
Gibson Hy. Clarke, Regent st
Spink Thos. Graves, Market pl
Spink Thomas Graves, junr., Market place

Market Gardeners.
Padgett & Bead (nurserymen), Great George street
Rhodes Mrs. Eliza, New street
Rhodes Ed., North Field hs
Smith William, Tute hill
Welldon Geo., Chapmangate

Millers.
Cain Parkin, Devonshire mill
English Bd. Massey, Percy rd
Thirsk James & Son., Anglo-Hungarian Boiler mills

Joiners and Cabinet Makers.
Fielder John, New street
Grant Thomas,Waterloo bldgs
Judson Wm. Henry. Union st
Kendall Harry, Union street; h Brass Castle hill
Robson John (& coachbuilder), Union street
Sellers Thomas, London street
Stubbs John, New street
Waite John, Regent street

Newspaper.
Howdenshire Chronicle, Pocklington Weekly News, and Market Weighton Advertiser (Sat.); Geo. Stancer, propr. & publisher, Waterloo bldgs

Plumbers and Glaziers.
Marked * are Painters.
Faulkner Geo., Gt. George st
*Lamb James William
*Lamb John & Son, Railway st
Noble George, Market street
*Scaife Francis, Church lane
* Smith Mrs. Tim., Gt. George st
Spink Thomas Graves, Mar­ket place (gasfitter)

Printers.
(See Booksellers.)

Rope & Twine Makers.
Johnson Francis, Market pl
Laister Joseph  &   Son, New street and Market place

Saddlers and Harness Makers.
Boulton Isaac, Market place
Easton John, Market place
Gray Richard, St. Peter's sq
Manners   Wm.   Robert   (and wholesale    collar    maker), New pavement

Sheep Dipper.
Wreggitt  Charles, Railway st

Shopkeepers.
Bradley Joseph, London street
Buttle Charles, Union street
Hatfield Jas., New pavement
Shaw Henry, New street
Sowersby Mrs. Rachel, Chap­mangate
Steel Joseph (and poulterer), Great George street

Solicitors
Powell  Henry Sydney, and solicitor and secretary to Pocklington New Gas Co., Ltd.; hon. secretary to Wilton Beacon Habitation Primrose League (Howden­shire, No. 1,022); agent for London Assurance Corporation and Mercantile Accident and Guarantee Insurance Co.; Begent street and at Market Weighton
Robson Thomas, and clerk to the Guardians of the Pock­lington Union; to the Rural Sanitary Authority; to Assessment Committee ; to the Magistrates for Wilton Beacon and Holme Beacon Divisions of the East Riding; steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Allerthorpe-with-Waplington & Barmby-upon-the-Moor; clerk to the Governors of the Pocklington Grammar School; Conservative agent for Howdenshire ; commissioner to administer oaths; perpetual commis­sioner, and agent to the Sun Fire and Life offices, Water­loo buildings; h Pembroke lodge, Chapmangate
Sargent John Thomas, com­missioner for oaths, and perpetual commissioner; registrar of County Court, etc.; Railway street
Summerson Alfred (and com­missioner for oaths),Railway street; h New street

Stone Masons.
Richardson Mrs. Jane, New st
Sowerby James, Regent street

Surgeons.
Fairweather Alex.
Ferrier Angus, M.A.,M.D.,and M.C., Faircote house
Trotter Walter Octavius, M.B.C.S., Eng., L.B.C.P., Ed., Oak house, Market pl

Tailors, &c.
Everingham   John   Thomas, Railway street
Foster William (and hatter), Market place
Gray William, Railway street
Jameson William, Market st
Kent Charlton, Market street
Wilson James, New pavement

Watchmakers and Jewellers.
Cotton Richard, Market place
Gibson Thomas, Market place
Lundy Mrs., Railway street

Wine and Spirit Merchants.
Boyden John A. G., Market pl
Browne Thomas, Marketplace
Brigham George, Market place
Cundall Robt. & Co., Market st
English Miss J. B., Brass Castle hill

YAPHAM-CUM-MELTONBY TOWNSHIP.

MELTONBY. Letters via Pocklington.

Farmers.
English Thos. (and seed merchant), Meltonbyhs
Hickes Jonathan, White house
Houfe Robert, Meltonby grange
Housley John, High Catton
Mitchell William
Pearson Charles
Robinson William, Skelton
Robson Robert, hind, High Catton
Todd Robert

YAPHAM.
Letters via Pockington, arrive at 11 a.m., and are despatched at 3 p.m. No Post Office. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, Pocklington (two miles).

Campling Samuel, carrier to King's Arms, York, Saturday
Fountain Miss Mary, schoolmistress
Jebson James, M.R.C.V.S., Yapham grange

Farmers.
Bean John, Manor house
Clarkson John (and miller), Yapham mills
Crow David
Fountain Simon
Harrison Thos., and hon. sec. for the Church, School, and Poor Charity, Rowland hill
Houlden Thistlethwaite
Johnson Robert
Pegg Thomas, hind, Smylett hall
Petch William Dixon, Smylett hall
Stewart John (and horse dealer), Yapham hall